TwinTrix

Started by kevin, February 26, 2004, 02:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Twintrix, based on Klatrix for the Atari ST

Coded in DBPro by Andrew Vanbeck

and freshly Ported To PlayBASIC by Kevin Picone

Fash

I know on RGT you said there were a few issues with the pb port of this, but at the moment what sort of fps difference is there between the dbp version and pb's ?
:blink:
For PC game/demo music visit
Future Developments

kevin

Well, most of the issues are that the code writes outside of the arrays bounds.  While Dbpro turns a blind eye, PB is pretty anal about that.  I'm waiting for the final version to appear in my email.  

The first (drap and drop) port was running 150fps with two players.   Not too bad, but it's not really opt'd for PB at all.

Fash

*nice speeds* especially if it's unoptimised as well :)
Will we see a demo of it soon with frame syncing turn on/off so we can see the speeds we can expect ?
For PC game/demo music visit
Future Developments

kevin

I guess.. ATM, I'm waiting for Andrew to send the updated sources.  From memory, he said he's  fixed a few bugs in the original DB version, so it makes sense to port the final.  That'll prolly pop up in my mail this week.

kevin

While I ported this to PB some time ago,  sadly it just didn't want to work %100.  However due to some recent logical fixes in PB's compiler,   TwinTrix now runs nicely.  There's  an odd speed issue though.  As it runs much slower in single player mode (30fps) than two player mode. (140>160fps)    So i'll have to look into that.

kevin

VanB has kindly allowed us to port his TwinTrix game to PB. Probably took 45 minutes at most to port, so it's identical Dbpro original version.  The main difference is Empty's new PB skin..

For how to play read van's instructions bellow.. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old dead link removed.  Download  TwinTrix From Home Page

kevin

kevin

TwinTrix is now available at

Download TwinTrix

kevin

Twin Trix V0.06 WIP

Since this is one of the oldest PB games that's consistently downloaded month in month out,  I've been wanting to update it for some time.  My initial goal really is just to make the program more WinXP/Vista friendly and dress it up a little. 

Compatibility wise just means compiling the code with a newest editions of PB.    Given that this is basically 3 year old code, it compiles and runs without a hitch.  No modifications required.    I've also added support for interruptions of service.    This means that if the OS decides to kill off the Direct X  image surfaces, then the program can now restore it's media.   Such interruptions can occur with windows pops the  log in screen, or via using Alt-tab in full screen modes for example.   There's a little pause as stuff is reloaded, but ya get that :)

I figured since i'd giving the code a once over that we should spruce up the gfx also.   Blink has been kind enough to lend a hand in this regard.   I've seen the initial design for the replacement HUD, and it from memory  he said going for Mexican theme. 

kevin

Here's a new screen shot of new skin. 

BlinkOk

apparently the inner background was too inky;

nearly done. three more sprites and five more backgrounds

kevin

Here's what'll be the final skins..   opinions ?

empty

Neat. As all of Blink's stuff. :)

kevin

Here's a  cleaner version.