Main Menu

I'm a Little Confused With Maps

Started by Enigma, March 12, 2006, 02:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enigma

I just downloaded the trial version of PlayBasic a few days ago, and I'm having trouble with maps. I've looked and looked at the Platform_Game_Example that came with it, but I can't figure out what it's doing.

I had PlayMapper 1.066 running for a few minutes, and then it crashed and I can't get it to start again. Even if I did have it working, how do I use all those little numbers to create my map? I know they corrospond to the different tiles, but where to the tiles come from?

Also, how do I create my own tiles? The example under the Help section only shows me how to create randomly colored boxes. How do I specify what color I want each one to be, and which number they corrospond to?

Just some questions from a newbie.
Check out my blog.

kevin

Quoteut where to the tiles come from?

The blocks in the platform example are all hand drawn and loaded into the program as a picture. This picture is then chopped up in the smaller blocks which the map uses.    It's not practical to draw block graphics in code.  Sadly that example is really a mish mash of stuff all wedged together.

Big C.

Hi Enigma,

i have try to explain something about tile and tilemaps... so, look at what is the use of mappers?

perhaps it will help you...

greetings

Big C.

Alex777

If you're interested in tiles for wargames, there is some info in my Paint Shop Pro tutorial which might help.  It's at: http:\\cryhavocgames.net\other_stuff.htm