News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

why can't i calc 2 variables to = floating point?

Started by stevmjon, September 13, 2015, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevmjon

there are many times I need to calc 2 variables but I need the answer to be in floating point.
a# = b / c
a# = 50 / 100
a# = 0    *** would be handy if it would be floating point answer

it works if I put at least 1 floating point variable in the calculation.
a# = b# / c
a# = 50.0 / 100
a# = 0.5    *** correct

I know you can just use floating point calculations, but often I don't need to. I just want answer to be floating point.
I keep forgetting to use floating point variables in the calculation part, and wonder why the programs not working properly.
then I go doh.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Original all operations were floats only in early VM's, but of course people found places where such behaviors created issues due to fpu's round mode  and it's quite a bit slower.  In languages like visible basic they have a integer division operator with the backward slash. \   There's really no way to do an integer division that produces a floating point result.      To do a floating point division, the data on both sides needs to pushed/cast to the FPU and div operation called.    

Occasionally i'll still use fixed point.    Which is where you move the decimal point to the left a bits.    

Also see:  Variable and Math Questions In PlayBASIC

stevmjon

fair enough, thanks kev.

floating point it is then

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.