News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Nvidia 3dtv setup , review by me

Started by micky4fun, February 10, 2010, 05:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

As in the ipad post i did wander onto the 3d tv set up that i was getting , so now i have got it i thought ile do a quick review on it.

not a great big 42 inch 3dtv , but a small 22 inch pc version

requirements ,

1. A decent pc , ive got a quad core athlon at 2200 each core , 4 gig memory
2. A gfx card thats supports nvidia 3d glasses , ive got a 1 gig 9800gt card , though reading some reviews this is bare minium
3. A 120htz lcd monitor , i have a 22 inch samsung 2243rz , a bit anoying as i have a 26 inch full 1080p that i cant use in 3d
4. 3d glasses by nvidia

as i already had the gfx's card my outlay was £355 in total for lcd monitor and glasses

so is it any good , well here is my thoughts un-bias ,

first of all the reason i bought this was for playing 3d films and not gaming , so straight away i was very dissapointed , i thought i could just play a 3d film off of dvd and it would be 3d , how wrong i was.
the trouble is that the 3d dvd film plays back with the red and green outlines around the image , so playing this still leaves the red and green on the screen.

the nvidia glasses use the shutter system , so you need to buy a film dvd that supports the shutter system
to play back using the nvidia glasses.
you can buy these for about £12 , not to sure what system that my sattelite provider is going to use so may come unstuck

i did find some clips to download to try out , so how does it look
well i did a compair , i played my 3d dvd film and used the red and green glasses and the 3d effect is quite good with these as i already know as i have watched the film before.
i then watched a download clip of a different 3d film using the 3d glasses , this was a lot lot better much more depth and clearer video quality , also thing did appear in front of the screen , hovering over my keyboard.
so as for films it is miles better than the red and green glasses

now as for the games , well i had a demo of burnout in the pack that it came in
i had to lower the screen res a little as my pc did struggle on highest setting , but wow this is really good , great 3d depth to the game with crystal clear gfx's very impressed , a totally different game.

as i said this is just a brief review , with the bigger tvs to come but very expensive at the moment 3dtv looks very nice indeed
the only problem is we need loads of 3d films to go with them.

ratings for nvidia 3dtv setup
for films 7/10 as i wont play my 3d dvd flms , but special 3d films for it are very good , miles better than red/green glasses
for games 9/10 , very very good , but a very fast pc required and fast gfx's card

mick ;D

micky4fun

Just wanted to had a little more as i have been playing around a little more with this tonight ,

found a few more film clips to play and they are looking even better now i have found some 3d hd clips ,
but what has amazed me even more is that i re-installed some old games i had hidden away from a while back , oh boy , they are totally differant now in 3d , they are not 100% perfect
but near enough , well i dont know how they do it , but playing a racing in 3d is amazing , the only thing is my gfx's card seems to be struggling at times so may need to get another card and i did find my eyes straining a bit , so i think there is still some work to be done , but when they sort that out and a nice 42 inch lcd to boot , well 3d is here to stay in my opinion , may take a year or two but we are all going to be in with a treat , the gfx's are so crisp is coming out in 3d in hd it really is , even when i have to gfx's set to 1024 x 768 .

it may well not be to everyones taste , but now with sony on board with the shutter glasses and ps3 getting a 3d update firmware very soon , sky using shutter glasses as well it could suddenly explode..

mick :)

kevin

Quotewell i dont know how they do it

You render the scene twice..

micky4fun

QuoteYou render the scene twice..

very clever stuff , no wonder my pc is struggling a bit to keep the frame rate going , so a new pc is the next move for me i think as some of the games  do look amazing
also i had a chat with a mate of mine who works for a big electrical retailer here in the uk , and he informs me that they have been given a statement by samsung that there
40 inch 3d tv price tag will be about £2000 , glasses will be an optional extra add on , sound very nice , im saving my pennys now.

mick :)

micky4fun

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0036WT4JW/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

above link is for the samsung 55 inch 3d tv , not bad for a 55 inch , looking forward to uk launch ,

mick

monkeybot

each frame is rendered twice,one at an offset to the other,i would imagine if you had an SLI system you would probably get some pretty good framerates.Is your system SLI capable mick?

The mobo's aren't too expensive but it does mean you have to splash out on another similar card as well.