News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

play basic learning curve

Started by Mick, July 15, 2006, 07:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

hi, just downloaded playbasic demo and the package and support looks really good; i'm interested in creating games with chunky 16-bit style graphics with lower resolutions.  i've had experience with div games studio 2 - how does playbasic compare and what is the learning curve like?

eatfishy

I been using DarkBasic Pro for about 3 years now..comparing this to DarkBasic Pro. Playbasic language is more restricted, but there are tons of examples and demos to help you get started. I'm currently on my 2nd week with playbasic and I got an action rpg tile scrolling setup already.

Big C.

QuoteI'm currently on my 2nd week with playbasic and I got an action rpg tile scrolling setup already.

This sounds interesting... Hope, we will see some demos soon...  :)

Ian Price

I was an avid supporter of Div 2 right up until the end before it went belly up. :(

Div is a great stepping stone for PlayBASIC and they are very similar in many respects - PB functions are similar to Div's PROCESSes in many respects and arrays etc. are almost the same (I do miss Div's multiple array data entry though eg animation[]=1,2,3,4,5,6,7.... PB has also inherited similar feature to BlitzBasic too, with Types.

PB is MUCH more powerful than Div and BlitzBasic, allows full colour games, including alpha blending etc. Runs on XP machines and is incredibly fast.

There is nothing that can't be done in PB that could be done in Div - it even has real-time scaling and rotation (something that even BlitzBasic doesn't have).

I do admit that the syntax of PB isn't as easy to learn as Div's and it's not as easy to do some things (collisions, killing all processes, srolling maps etc.) but the command list does allow you to do these things, just not in one command like Div used to.

There is Mode 7 stylee support too, but again, that's not as easy as Divs to set up. It also doesn't appear to supprt independent Z ordering in Mode 7.

Speaking of Z ordering, PB has it (again, BlitzBasic doesn't).

While Div was in it's death throes, I was coding in Blitz. I then moved onto PB and haven't gone back to it.

It's fair to say that PB has all the best bits of Blitz and Div and a lot more besides, but isn't necessarily as friendly or as well documented as either.

However, whilst the community here is small, it's eager to give assistance.

BTW what name did you go by on Div Arena - I don't remember a Mick? You're not Mike (Green) are you?

I too like chunky retro styled games - see my JetPak remake and my Shadow Of The Beast demo for proof (I've released both with source code).
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

Mick

thanks for the replies,

Ian- no a wasn't a member of the div forums, was a bit late to the party and wasn't even on the internet at the time! thanks for the comparisons - sounds like play basic has a lot to offer.  Really enjoyed your Jetpak, good of you to release the source code.  I'll have to have a look at shadow of the beast too.  

yeah, as far as grahics goes, i'm as impressed as the next person with however million polygons per sec stuff, but think often the visual 'personality' of a game can get lost somewhere along the way as things get more realistic.

i've got dark basic pro too eatfishy, action rpg sounds interesting - zelda/ landstalker style?

eatfishy

I'm aiming for a castlevania/ninja gaiden/zelda type. It'll probalby more of an action adventure than an action rpg.  

Here is my wip so far...

rpg

The animation still not smooth yet since only a few player frame is created. The bg music is the best i can come up with so far.., still need major works.

By 2 weeks. I dont' mean that I work on it everyday..only sometimes on friday night and weekends. I also work full time at an investment firm... lol

please send me feedback...

Big C.

great... this is a nice demo... the music and sounds are very cool and graphics too... I'm  interesting how your work will go on. I've visit your homepages and read something about your skill in PSP9. I thought that your graphics are made with PSP9. Please can you make a tutorial how a hero like yours is made (after finishing your project or perhaps if you have time)?

eatfishy

I can give u a general idea of how I did my character. After when my project is completed, I can explain more in details.

3 Simple Steps:

1-I drew the outline of the character in 128x128 pixels using MS Paint. (5-10 mins)
2-I use PSP9 for texturing.
3-Then, I go back to MS Paint and tweak it.

From my experience, ms paint is probably the fastest and simplest for drawing or outlining.

Calypson

I make my living off of MS paint.  In fact - i just got a new job working on a Barbie title doing pixel art.  yay!