Main Menu

completely new to PlayBASIC

Started by joshyboy, April 09, 2006, 03:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshyboy

Hello, im new to play basic and i wouldn't have a clue about anything.
What do i need 2 know to get started and anything, i am completely clueless. I dont have a clue and need help, maybe a tutorial for beginners or sumthing at all.

~Joshyboy~ B)

medwayman

Hi welcome to the world of PlayBasic :)  you can find some tutorials and source code on the resources board (You may have missed that as it's only visible when you sign up.)

I would also recommend going through the help files and studying the code that comes with the command descriptions. Start with the core commands section, as these are the essentials. That's assuming you're totally new to coding.

I find the demos and examples folders are a great source of help, although you will need to know the basics first.

And don't forget you can ask here.

Good luck :)

Tracy

HI Joshyboy.

My advice: open up some coding demos, play around with them and see what you can learn.

Alternatively, you can go through PlayBasic's 'Help' menu and use the code examples there to study. They're very clear (well, most of them) and great to learn from.

And like Medwayman says, you can always ask in the forum.

Good luck.

-Tracy

thaaks

Hi Joshiboy,

I am currently in the process of creating a simple Space Invaders tutorial for PlayBasic.

If you want to have a look at the early and unfinished draft have a look here:
Space Invaders tutorial for PlayBasic.

I will finish this tutorial over the next few weeks...

Any hints, suggestions, improvements to my email or just start a thread in the tutorials forum.

Cheers,
Tommy

joshyboy

hey everybody thx for all the advice, um...with the help file it says page cannot be found with all of them :huh: . Im really confused with all of it and things. So i cant really study it can I lol

I have just moved off using gamemaker so i did learn the code in that program.

It says when i open the program (play basic) it says "cannot locate compiler path - closing." "cannot open file "play basic/help/helpkeywords.""???

So im kind of really confused and lol i have asked at the forum :)

Thats why im here.

~Joshyboy~

thaaks

QuoteIt says when i open the program (play basic) it says "cannot locate compiler path - closing." "cannot open file "play basic/help/helpkeywords.""???
Sounds to me like your PlayBasic (demo? registered version?) is not properly installed.
It should not say any of those error messages on startup.

I don't know if you need administrator rights during installation of PlayBasic...

But I suggest you uninstall PB and install it again - and post all error messages that you get while installing in here so that Kevin or empty or us can give you better help.

Cheers,
Tommy

Ian Price

Indeed - as Thaaks stated, it sounds like either a bad installation, or the software is corrupt - either way, uninstall the current one and try to reinstall or download again. You shouldn't get any error reports.

Is this the demo or full version you are trying to run?
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Sounds like you've installed an update, rather than the base demo installer.

joshyboy

QuoteSounds like you've installed an update, rather than the base demo installer.
Maybe i installed and updated version, can somebody give me a link 2 the full version or something so i dont get messed up...?

~Joshyboy~ B)

kevin

Getting Started With PlayBASIC Tips

1)   Download PlayBASIC Learning Edition  and install it.

2a)   Start reading some TUTORIALS

->   PlayBASIC.com Tutorials

->   PlayBASIC Tutorial Forum

2b)   Start reading some SOURCE CODE examples

->   PlayBasic.com Source Codes

->   PlayBASIC Source Code Forum

3)  Ask questions, participate in forum discussions and constantly experiment...  You'll only get something out of learning game programming, if you put something into it.    

joshyboy

Bustaballs

QuoteHi Joshiboy,

I am currently in the process of creating a simple Space Invaders tutorial for PlayBasic.

If you want to have a look at the early and unfinished draft have a look here:
Space Invaders tutorial for PlayBasic.

I will finish this tutorial over the next few weeks...

Any hints, suggestions, improvements to my email or just start a thread in the tutorials forum.

Cheers,
Tommy

Can you toss that my way when you're done with it? =)
QuoteOh please

thaaks

Bustaballs,

feel free to click the link!

It's continued every few days. Right now it's up to the stage that the player can move his ship at the bottom of the screen. Next thing to follow are the aliens.

Cheers,
Tommy

Bustaballs

QuoteOh please