News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

4 bit Colour isn't so bad !

Started by kevin, February 07, 2006, 08:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Either my trusted old gf2 mx200 (agp) has died or the AGP slot. Not sure atm.   But i'll get over it.  Figured, i still had a couple of old PCI's sitting around,  but nope.  However I did find an old oak tech svga ISA card.... awesome !

It's a dinosaur alright.  So old XP doesn't even list it as video card.   One odd thing though is the standard windows svga driver don't even seem to acknowledge it.  So i'm forced into running 640*480 in 4 bit colour... nice

The colour remapping/dithering is surprisingly good in some cases :)

thaaks

Sounds like it's time to replace your old (not so ) trusty (anymore) Duron 800, hmm?  :(

Okay, all you competition joiners with your test licenses: ORDER YOUR PLAYBASIC LICENSE NOW! KEVIN NEEDS A NEW COMPUTER!  :D

Just kidding!

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

:)

Yeah it's long overdue.  While i'm not a big fan of this box, i do like testing on it.  Gives a sense of reality cold hard reality.  

The urge to update is kicking back in though.  But I know if i do, i'll just end up wasting time playing with new toys :)

Coz I really want to have a crack some shader stuff..

thaaks

QuoteCoz I really want to have a crack some shader stuff..
That immediately rings a bell and reminds me to post a request  :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

kevin

Well, getting a cheap/equivalent replacement turned out to be something of an issue in itself.  I'd assumed that every shop locally would have piles of trade in GF2/GF4 level cards kicking around out the back.  But nope.  Nobody I called had them.   And when i finally find something the cheapest they'd sell it for (a GF4 4000) was $60.   I didn't want to waste money on a stop gap device.  Was about to sir come to just buying a new card when I walked past another new dealer in the city.   Who just happened to have one.  Almost identical to what I had (GF2 MX400 64meg).  For $30 bucks.   Still more than i wanted to pay :), but hey it'll do.

Draco9898

Hrm, 4 bit* colors, meh, I bet you could hardly tell a difference :)

Woot, shaders! Shake your groove thing!
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin