News:

Function Finder  Find all the functions within source code files

Main Menu

IDE vs Windows7 64… 99:0

Started by RayRayTea2, February 10, 2013, 03:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRayTea2

Did anyone manage to make the IDE work on Windows 7 64 bit? It's crashing so much it really gives a new meaning to the old "Save often" advice from the dark ages (only sometimes the project files get corrupt after saving!). Just for fun I started collecting screenshots of all the bizarre glitches it's throwing at me, in the last two days I got 15 files. I've been meaning to dig seriously into PB during my next holidays but as is it's impossible to do anything due to constant glitching / crashing (and yes, I do have the slightly newer version that somebody posted a link somewhere). Too bad because I really like it in general, it's just that it's unfinished.

I also bought a copy for someone else and it didn't really perform on her computer either (also a W7 64 bit comp). So I'm out of ideas, any suggestions?

I know I can theoretically work in Notepad++ or some other text editor but that's really something I'm trying to avoid. The new IDE looks promising so maybe best to wait for that one.

stevmjon

hello heyhey

i have installed playbasic on my windows 7 64 bit system, and it works perfectly. no problems with the ide or running programs.
if you can post some screenshots of the error messages, the community may be able to help.
are you using the ide that comes with playbasic, or are you using the newer version that you download from the forums.

did you install the base version of playbasic (eg. v1.64L), then install patches over that (eg. v1.64N3).
i myself have incorrectly installed playbasic a few times.

sorry to see you are having problems,  stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

RayRayTea2

Hey stevmjon,

I'm glad it works well for you, maybe I'm just unlucky. Did you tweak some compatibility settings or anything like that to make it work?

Sure, here are some screenshots (see titles of the photos for info). Note these are all from the last 2 days! You can see how it scrambles the text, fails to save, throws empty "error" windows...

I'm using the newer version that I downloaded from the forums.
I installed the 1.64N3 (which is another topic, why doesn't it have automatic updates, it's 2013 ;)... )

monkeybot

I have no problems with crashing on my win 7 x64.I do use a beta  of the ide,I can't remember which version right now I will check when I Get home.

it's 1.19 public beta 3.

stevmjon

i only use the original IDE.

you could try one setting and see how it goes. it was recommended on the forums somewhere to turn off 'live case correction' (see pic).
see if that helps. it was causing freezing and crashing with it on, on some systems.

stevmjon

RayRayTea2

I'll turn it off and see how it goes. Thanks :)

RayRayTea2

Turning off Live Correction didn't do much in my case, but after poking around for a while I discovered turning off the automatically created headers (comments with author's name, creation date etc) helps. So now on average it crashes only a few times per day. ...during saving, among other situations.

It looks like it just doesn't like me  :'(

stevmjon

hello heyhey

have you tried using just the original ide? if so, was the original version less/more crashy?

as far as I know, the newer ide versions are all beta, and have some problems.
I like your new platformer game, it would be great to see it programmed in playbasic.

just interested,  stevmjon

XpMe_v1.2

I also never had any trouble with the IDEs either in Xp,Vista,Win7 64bit and so far Win8 64 bit.
...XpMe v1.2

http://tilemusic.com/

RayRayTea2

@ XpMe_v1.2 I'm happy you didn't, good for you I guess :) Trust me I didn't make those screenshots manually ;)

@ stevmjon Yes, I originally used the IDE that I got when I bought PB, even spent some time smoothing it out a bit (tweaking the default settings, themes, toolbars) etc, good stuff but it was randomly crashing. Which is why I went ahead and tested the other build (the latest one from the forum, thanks for the link guys!) but still no luck. I think that the newer build is crashing a bit more but don't remember, stopped using PB ever since I bought the new computer. Oh yes I should probably update the thread with the game too, give me a few minutes... ok the update is here (I just edited the first post so not to bump the thread needlessly).

XpMe_v1.2

I have had bad luck with other computer software. Maybe I just got lucky with this IDE. Keep trying.
...XpMe v1.2

http://tilemusic.com/