News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

PlayBasic World (Video)

Started by kevin, March 05, 2010, 03:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

PlayBasic World (Video)

This is a small movie sample from a screen shot video clip I've been working on in PlayBASIC.    The program runs though a collection of PlayBASIC screen shots and displays them.     There's a sound track and a few overlay effects (yep, it's all cut and pasted together).    The biggest challenge with the demos is turning out to be trimming the screen shot set down to something that only runs a few minutes.   The demo's a bit of a one trick pony, so I don't really want to go on for too long.

The shots will (ideally) span PlayBASIC's entire life V1.00 through to V1.64L , so you'll see some classic games / demos (that you've probably never seen before) right through to some more up to date stuff.    This is fairly big project, and one that I actually start on this a few weeks back.  I could rush through and get version up and on you tube ASAP, but I'm really not in that much of a hurry.    As, just like most demo's It'll take a few revisions before i'm happy enough to release a final.  

Attached sample movie is compressed with the XVID codec

kevin

PlayBasic World (Capture Test 5)

Been messing around with the demo again, trying to get the resolution and frame rate just right for the capturing.   It's basically intentionally recorded at 1/2 speed, then rate doubled for playback during compression.     This gives a nice result in the final video, but it's painful to create.. oh well, got nothing better to do.... :)  

Attach video is encode with Xvid codec

kevin

Even though 99% of the images i've got in the collection are 4 by 3 aspect ratio,  been fiddling with the resolution again trying to get a reasonable wide screen capture, but everything just ends up way to distorted after compression.   So have gone back to the 4 by 3 format.  Which actually fits pretty well in the site (yep already tested it).

Programming wise i've been messing around converting the demo from the custom image scene,  into a camera scene. This allows me control over depth of the various effects.   This should make it easier to drop over pre/post processing effects into the scene at will.   So far i've added a sine distortion effect on the PB logo and rammed the md2 displayer into the demo also.   Currently they're all just sitting on top of each other (pictured bellow).  Ideally in the final video they'll be a little more selectively positioned and triggered, prolly just randomize it all to get this done quickly  :).  This is really only a series of cross fading screen shots after all, so it needs something a little more interesting to look at.

kevin

Here's a 10  second preview (no sound) of the PlayBASIC World video.