News:

Function Finder  Find all the functions within source code files

Main Menu

The PC is Dead ?

Started by kevin, April 08, 2010, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think the PC (The Windows platform) is dead ?

Yes, it's dead
No, it'll never die
Sorta, there's less and less software for it
other (reply bellow)

kevin

Do you think the PC (The Windows platform) is dead ?

BlinkOk

no way! how the hell is anyone going to develop stuff for all that light weight, fly by night, flavor of the day crap

Devain

I think the PC isn't dead or dying, but it's definitely changing.

Fewer AAA exclusives, much due to rampant piracy. And most of the AAA exclusives are subscription-based (MMOs) or coupled to radically obtrusive rights management, such as Ubisoft's notorious "online all the time" software.

Also, what's played the most is casual games via web browsers. Flash games, browser-based MMOs and other lighter titles that take minutes rather than hours to play through and can be linked between friends really efficiently.

kevin

Quote from: BlinkOk on April 08, 2010, 06:44:20 PM
no way! how the hell is anyone going to develop stuff for all that light weight, fly by night, flavor of the day crap

MacOS & the linux movement is fly is by night ?

kevin

Quote from: Devain on April 09, 2010, 02:40:28 AM
I think the PC isn't dead or dying, but it's definitely changing.

Agreed, It's certainly changing here.  It's funny what choice can do :)

The biggest change i notice here is the availability of software Windows platform is rapidly vanishing.   The same can be said about hardware.  

Fewer AAA exclusives, much due to rampant piracy. And most of the AAA exclusives are subscription-based (MMOs) or coupled to radically obtrusive rights management, such as Ubisoft's notorious "online all the time" software.

Yeah, I think there's a lot of factors that hinder the Windows PC as a gaming platform.   Most notability, AAA  developers / hardware vendors fixation on the same old upgrade to play model.    Which is not doing themselves any favors.  

Also, what's played the most is casual games via web browsers. Flash games, browser-based MMOs and other lighter titles that take minutes rather than hours to play through and can be linked between friends really efficiently.

True,  none of which require Windows.

yoxola

Windows PC is still the primary development/office environment currently, things may change as there're more and more alternative apps on other platforms .

I feel the major difference is "now we have more solutions for one thing"...

BlinkOk

QuoteMacOS & the linux movement is fly is by night ?
surely you've see then numbers on these vs windows

kevin

Yep, both are steadily increasing. 

u9

As soon as you are born, you are dying. The same is true for any product. It will eventually be over, but not for quite some time (i'm afraid).

If the question is from a game development perspective, then no, there is still a lot of money in Windows games. Only there is more to be made on consoles, so Windows tends to be the "last in line"

BlinkOk

QuoteYep, both are steadily increasing.
a blip on the radar i assure you. your xenophobia is unfounded my friend. there are hundreds of products that are still not available on mac/linux, simply because the market is not big enough; 3D studio max is the biggest selling 3D product on the planet and it still is not available on mac. There is also a pretty nifty basic compiler that the developer hasn't bothered porting to mac/linux either.