News:

Function Finder  Find all the functions within source code files

Main Menu

Do you still have your old STOS/AMOS Code ?

Started by kevin, January 05, 2010, 12:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Just a quick question aimed at those who come from a 16bit BASIC programming background, primarily the STOS / AMOS dialects on the Atari & Amiga platforms.

If that's you, do you still have your old code ??

MODEDIT:  in 2013 we developed a tool to Convert AMOS /AMOSPRO Source Code to PlayBASIC Source Code

u9

I come from AMOS background, and yeah i do have my old code... well, it is stored away on my amiga (in another country :)). Why do you ask?

Adaz

Quote from: u9 on January 05, 2010, 01:08:18 PM
I come from AMOS background, and yeah i do have my old code... well, it is stored away on my amiga (in another country :)). Why do you ask?
Me too. I've got an Amiga with a lot of stuff on it including my AMOS codes, but I don't have any RGB monitor or TV modulator to revive her :( Probably if I could attach her hard disk to my pc and drive it with UAE...

Ádáz

Hungary

u9

I have the exact same problem. I have been thinking about buying a scandoubler, so i can see my old games again.

kevin

Twin Express was what i used.  A cheap as chips to get a serial cable back in the day, which must have been about close to 10 years ago now.  Painfully slow though.   As a result i've got lot of stuff from the Amiga days, but some stuff is lost through errors. But ya get that.

Been looking in the idea of a way of running some legacy AMOS/STOS in the PlayBASIC without having to port it by hand, or the fire up an Amiga/Atari ST emulation.

After only a tiny bit of tinkering, I can see (and have tested) a way of executing at least some AMOS applications directly through PlayBasic without really lifting a finger.  Of course, the test only supports a tiny subset of the AMOS command set.  So it's not really of any great use at this time. 

But with a little work it could be useful...

kevin

Amos To PlayBasic Test

This is rather trivial example of an Amos program running in PlayBASIC.  The translation is very simple and only include a tiny subset of Amos native functionality.   Even so, it's still able to convert the original Amos code into a running PlayBasic program.  In this particular example the program runs, but there are various graphical errors.  Replicating the drawing behavior hasn't been 100% implemented.   Although performance wise,  there's no comparison.  Running the code  in PlayBASIC is a lot faster than under an Amiga emulator.

At this point there's no grand objective, more a curiosity. This is one of those idea has been sitting in the back of mind for years, so i figured i might as well try it out.

EDIT:  in 2013 we developed a tool to Convert AMOS to PlayBASIC